Through the Capital Project Grant, Big Lakes County provides a source of funds for eligible capital projects to be undertaken by community organizations that provide community services within the County.
Council Policy ADMIN-55 Grant Funding Policy governs this program.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Community organizations who are a registered society within the province of Alberta
- Community organizations who have charitable status with the government of Canada
- A complete application form (link below);
- Current Financial Statements, signed by two executed officers that have been approved by your organization at it’s AGM;
- Most recent proof of filing;
- Annual General Meeting minutes, from the year you’re applying;
- Signed grant agreement (in the application form);
- Current years association budget;
- Capital project budget and plan;
- Quotes/estimates for the equipment, materials, labour, etc. identified in the application. All estimates should be obtained locally;
Funds shall be used towards the following projects:
- Land or buildings;
- Facility/site construction, renovation or repair;
- Facility/site assessment, study, design, or construction documents to support the above projects;
Big Lakes County may fund up to 50% of the total project cost(s). Funds will only be provided after an approved community organization completes a claim form and submits all of the required documents.
What you need to know
- Late applications will not be accepted;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered for funding;
- Projects must be completed in accordance with the Safety Codes Act;
- Retroactive payments will not be made;
- Projects that benefit individuals and/or family groups are ineligible for funding;
- If you’re unable to complete your project in the year it was approved, a request for an extension must be submitted to the County by October 31;
- In the event of an emergency, a capital project application can be submitted in the same year funding is requested. Payments will not be made retroactively, and the decision to fund is pending Council approval;
Big Lakes County proudly offers grants to community non-profit organizations to assist in funding valued programming throughout the County. Apply for Capital Project Grant online below or download an application and submit it in person, by mail, fax, or email to:
Attn: Grants Officer
Big Lakes County
5305 56 street, Box 239
High Prairie, AB T0G 1E0
P: 780 523 5955 F: 780 523 4227
Email: [email protected]
Applications are due October 31 of each year. If your project is approved, you can begin the project on January 1 of the following year.
2020 Approved Projects
In 2019 and 2020, Big Lakes County approved nine projects totaling $104,677.66. The following projects were approved: the Faust Community League will purchase supplies for a Christmas Light Up as well as bleachers and backstop for a ball diamond, the Kinosayo Museum will build a Machine Shed and do some furnace upgrades, the Joussard Community Association will purchase Mowers, Big Meadow Community Hall Association will replace their Roof, the High Prairie Agricultural Society will replace their furnaces, the High Prairie and District Golf Club will replace their furnaces, the Banana Belt Recreation Association will replace their Boiler, the Royal Canadian Legion will replace their furnaces, the Enilda & District Society for Recreation and Culture will replace their rooftop, furnace, and a/c and the High Prairie Golden Age Club will complete Centre Repairs.